Derbyshire and Derby City Safeguarding Adults Board have jointly developed guidance around how and when to share information about an adult with other professionals.
Sharing information without consent
You can share information relating to abuse, without consent from the person:
- if the person lacks capacity to make the decision (Mental Capacity Act 2005)
- for the prevention and investigation of crime (Crime and Disorder Act 1998)
- to prevent serious harm/distress or threat to life (Data Protection Act 1998)
- if there is a risk to others / children
- if the person is under duress, coercion or undue influence
- if staff are implicated
- domestic Abuse which meets the MARAC threshold
- if there is a court order/other legal authority in place instructing you to do so
- where the alleged abuser has care and support needs and may be at risk
Recording information in the case file
If you share information without consent, you must record the following information on the person’s case file:
- why? What is your concern and reason for overriding consent
- when? Date and time you shared the information?
- legal basis for overriding consent
- how? In what format you have shared the information such as verbally or in writing?
- what? Exactly what information have you shared?
In cases where a crime is occurring or someone is in need of immediate medical or police assistance please contact emergency services on 999.
If you have concerns for an adult in need of care and support that may be experiencing abuse and may be unable to protect themselves, please contact:
For residents of Derbyshire County
Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm
Tel: 01629 533190
Minicom: 01629 536300
Outside of these hours calls should be made to the Out of Hours Team on tel: 01629 532600
For residents of Derby City
Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm
Tel: 01332 642855
Minicom: 01332 640666
Outside of these hours calls should be made to Careline on tel: 01332 786968.
This information is also available in a Z card format. To request a copy, please email: email@example.com.